Feed your Faith

Feed your Faith, and your Fears will starve to Death! I am Lifted with Love, Healed by Grace and Saved by the Cross...

Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Biopsy Day - April 6, 2010

A few days ago, Joanne introduced me to the song "Healer" by the great band Hillsong. I immediately fell in love with it because of the lyrics that touched me deeply as well as me being able to relate to it now. I could hear it over and over again in my head, believing that God is my Healer - although I was walking through the fire with Him.

Here's the song. It actually loops into a second song, which is also good...




"The hardships of forced marches are often more painful than the dangers of battle"
-General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I was scheduled to have a Biopsy later that day, and stayed without food, as the doctor had instructed. I tried to prepare myself mentally for what was ahead: more needles, more tests, more pain. Knowing that they were going to stick long needles through my body to take samples of the tumor really scared me despite everyone telling me it wouldn't hurt. Besides, I was a graduate with High Honors now, since I went through "The IV Night" with 3 blood-thirsty lurking nurses -- I don't think it can get any worse than that.

Around 10:00 am, one guy came with a stretcher to take me to the Biopsy room. This moment defined one of the few 'steps' in this process. I was ready to knock out processes one after the other to put them behind me. As he called my name, mixed emotions of happiness and fear were now at war. I looked at my parents, who immediately gave me the look of "Son, it's OK, you're going to be OK, God is with you". They got up and were ready to follow us.

The guy pushing me was a very nice guy. He was friendly and kind, and his age wasn't too far away from mine. I told him, "I can walk next to you if you like, you won't have to worry about rolling me -- and I won't tell your boss you didn't push me, haha", he smiled and said "Don't worry about it, this is my job...I enjoy this..." so I told him "Let's do it, Imma hop on this stretcher and then we can roll". I transitioned from my bed to the stretcher with care though, because my IV was still on my right arm and any false movement would still hurt me.

As he was pushing me around the hospital after covering me with fresh white sheets, I felt like telling him to run with me! Haha...It was actually fun because I was awake and in decent physical condition. I guess Ive seen too many movies with these stretchers. Good thing about this stretcher ride is that every time my eyes crossed someone else's, the person would smile at me. I wish people everywhere had this attitude and smiled to everyone else.

We get to the Biopsy waiting room and my parents stay behind, not too far away. I bid them farewell with a confident attitude as to not worry my mom. It's unfortunate they weren't allowed in my waiting area. A few minutes later, I notice the 2 big double doors open up. Im looking carefully and waiting to see if my mom had somehow made it this far. I had a feeling she'd show up. She always does, lol. And Alas! It was her once again! She's on her wheelchair and as if fighting for her life to make it to me on time. Such a beautiful picture of a mother and her son. She spoke to a nurse who granted her permission into the waiting room. I was thrilled; I really enjoy our bonding moments during these memorable times and knew this one wouldn't be any different. She always has wise words to share with me.

We exchanged kisses and one-handed hugs and talked and prayed for a few minutes before the surgeon arrived. The team in charge of my Biopsy was exceptional. It was 3 of them. They came to talk to us before the process and made us so comfortable. I was feeling great and ready! The surgeon was remarkably genuine and kind and was interested in my well-being, rather than just performing his job. After explaining to us in detail what would take place in the Biopsy room, he told my mother "Ma'm, we'll take good care of him" - and they took me in. This moment reminded me of when they took my mother a few months ago for her hip surgery. We were in the same situation, but tables had turned.

Inside the room, they had me lie on my stomach and put a triangular cushion under my right side hip/upper thigh so that the surgeon would have leverage and can easily access the area. It was going to be a CT guided Biopsy. I had to lay in that position and wait a few minutes as they were getting some stuff ready. I remember looking to my right side and seeing a box filled with 18, 19 and 22 inch needles...They were very long and quite thick. But they didn't deter me. My initial thought was that these were Texas-sized needles but that I was soon going to mess with them; I had reached this point: I was making jokes and laughing at myself. Silly me! I was actually more worried about the local Anesthesia injection I would be getting in my lower back/butt. The good news is that the surgeon wasn't going to surprise me. He would announce every step...Like I said, he was a super pleasant person.
He initially wanted to inject me with one dose of Anesthesia, but I told him and his nurse that I had strong tolerance and I didn't think it was enough. I felt the first Anesthesia injection followed by a mild lower back local Anesthesia shot. It wasn't too bad.
He was then ready to take his samples and I wobbled on his first one, so he asked the nurse to inject me another round of Anesthesia because I felt that one. Second time around, I moved a bit less, but still enough for him to ask her to inject me with a 3rd dose. He was honest when he said he wanted me to be comfortable. I was drowsy, light headed and did not feel the rest of the procedure. It was smooth. I slurred some words to the nurse and decided to just shut up. lol. I should have probably gone to sleep but the thought of someone grabbing stuff from inside my body was not dreaming material. A few minutes later, I couldn't hear anything but I didn't want to turn around or move abruptly. I then ask the surgeon "Are we done?" And he tells me "Daniel, you're supposed to be knocked out buddy!" :))
We all laugh a bit and they tell me that the Biopsy was successful and that I was on my way out in a few minutes.

I was glad this part was over. Another 'transportation person' takes me back to my room on a stretcher. I spoke to her the whole way back as the Anesthesia effect didn't last too long. Turns out she had just started her job and was going to school part-time and doing this full-time. I like how they work 3 days a week, 13 hour shifts!

I was excited to go back to my hospital bedroom and rest on the bed while chilling with the family. I had 2 breakfast trays and 2 lunch trays waiting for me but I couldn't eat them because I still had another CT Scan planned for 7pm that day!! I was starving!! I won't go in too much detail, but the CT Scan was very painful as I had to stay still on my back for 15 min. My flank and upper thigh were really really really hurting...beyond the norm.

I managed to knock out most of the trays waiting for me in the room. It was a feast! :)
A few minutes after I got back to my room, 9 visitors dropped by to keep us company. We had a great time and we were all hoping for good results.

After they left, my pain becomes intolerable....I know, it's no coincidence. The nurse gives me pain medication as well as a sleeping pill. I was ready to crash. I was worn out. But....


Sleeping time: 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment