Feed your Faith

Feed your Faith, and your Fears will starve to Death! I am Lifted with Love, Healed by Grace and Saved by the Cross...

Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

PETScan Day! - April 14, 2010



Contrary to what you might think, PETScan Day is not a fun day at the Zoo, nor is it a day to remember "all the pets out there." But my family and I were so excited about the PETScan, nonetheless.

It had its importance because it would confirm if my Cancer is metastisized, or contained and localized in one area. From what St. Luke's had gathered, my tumor was localized. But it still needed to be confirmed via the PETScan.
The other important factor about the PETScan was that if my Insurance approved this step, all the later steps would be approved and I would be good to go for MD Anderson!

My appointment was at 2pm. It was the first time my mom and I were both in wheelchairs due to our situation. For me, the more I walked, the more I ached at night; walking had become a big discomfort.





We got there a few minutes early and got checked in. I was nervous about the PETScan because I had to stay still for a total of an hour and a half. My constant pain, and pinched nerve added to the discomfort of making the process impossible.

A younger lady called my name and looked out in the waiting room; I then raised my hand and said "Yes, Im here".




As soon as she saw me, she froze for a second and then I confirmed I was the patient as I was walking towards her. It's true, I didn't see other younger guys my age in the room, so it can be surprising to anyone. It's one of those moments that lasted about a minute although it was really only a second or two. On my way towards her, I look at my parents and sister, and my mom says a quick word of encouragement in Arabic.

As she took me to the back, she asked me "Do you speak Arabic?" And I told her I did. I then asked her where she was from, and turns out she is Palestinian. So we immediately connected and I felt like I had a friend during this "PETScan" mess.

I changed into hospital clothes (Scrubs - the only good thing about this...). And for once the young lady gave me sizes that fit me well! I was usually given tops with XL sizes making me look ridiculous.

She took me to my private room - a small cubicle with a counter and one nature frame hanging in front of the one-person extendable chair. It was a cute spot. As soon as I sat down while waiting for the nurse to attend to me, I heard a bunch of guys snoring....and they were loud! I was so excited to find out that sleeping was allowed during the 1.5hr ordeal! lol.

I knew I wouldn't be able to stay still even if I managed to fall asleep so I asked for water so that I can take a painkiller pill. Surely enough, I took one with quick-release effects...

The Arab friend told me she'd come to my room and check on me every once in a while. Right before I was injected, she dropped by and we chatted for a few minutes. She was very gentle, kind and supportive of my worries.

The worse part about procedures is being misinformed. I knew I had to do an IV in my arm to inject contrast liquids for the PETScan. Turns out the nurse needs to also give me a little finger shot to measure the blood in my body! I was so upset!! lol. I hate shots, let alone 2 in 3 minutes.
Thankfully, God make it pass quickly and my hour and a half started ticking.

I was very still, and I felt the morphine based painkiller's effect as my pain died down. I was contemplating the nature picture facing me and then tried to sleep many times, but was unable to. One shouldn't be thinking either so the contrast doesn't go to the brains versus the tumor. Any muscle movement makes the PETScan less reliable as less of the tumor lights up during the procedure. That's why sleeping is a no-brainer!

So I ended up sitting there without moving...The time passed by quicker than I had anticipated. My mind was thinking, so I was worried I failed the exam.

After this part was over, they took me to the PETScan machine. And this is basically a combination of an MRI and a CT Scan. I wasn't supposed to move for 25 min. Although I found it very hard due to my pain and due to the way they had me lie on my back, I was so determined to do it, and didn't move!! I feel like this is too much information, but it was a big accomplishment for me! It was not really a mind game, but my mind conquered the pain in my body, as it was begging me to move!

On my way out, I ran into the Arab young lady near the elevators. It felt like she was already a friend I had known for a while....maybe because she marks my first PETScan, and it meant something to me.

That same night, I faced the highest fever yet. The whole family was helping by putting ice cold cloths on my forehead, and this would help as it was lowering the fever by about 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit every 30 minutes....Poor mother did this for over 2 hours. I ended up having close to a sleepless night.



Thumbs up for the new symptoms that keep coming ;)




Sleeping time: 3 hours.

3 comments:

  1. LOl Danny your soo friendly :) Keep up the good energy !!! Take care and Keep those captivating posts coming xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong brother God is with you and you are in my prayers ! Hang on there buddy everything will be ok ! I had 2 Pet Scans and they were not so hard ! Just keep on thinking in our Lord Jesus Christ and He will think of you too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said you were thinking, wonder what u were thinking about?

    ReplyDelete